How to Join the Community Building Grants Program
CEA's Community Building Grants Program focuses on a few select locations (listed below) in order to provide better support. If you are not interested in running a group in these locations, or if you want to learn about other funding options, go to this page.
We’ve selected these locations either because they have large EA communities, or because they are especially promising places to grow the movement globally. If a location doesn’t already have a CBG-funded organizer, CEA will work with groups there to find one.
Other locations are supported by the EA Infrastructure Fund, which provides grants for professional community builders across the world. If you are based outside of the locations listed, you can apply for a grant or contact EA Funds to ask about what they’re looking for.
As of April 2022, the locations eligible for the CBG programme are:
- Australia (national)
- Boston, USA (city)
- Toronto, Canada (city)
- Czech Republic (national)
- France (national)
- Germany (national)
- India (national)
- Israel (national)
- London, UK (city)
- Netherlands (national)
- New York City, USA (city)
- Norway (national)
- San Francisco Bay area, USA (city)
- Sweden (national)
- Switzerland (national)
- Washington DC, USA (city)
- Effective Altruism Anywhere (a virtual group for people unable to access a local EA group)
If you want to work with one of these groups, please fill out the CBG expression of interest form. We also recommend reading more about the program and what groups on grants have done in the past. Finally, you can also reach out with questions, or to schedule a more general conversation: contact email@example.com.
We assess all applications on a rolling basis. Let us know if your application is time-sensitive, and we’ll try to accommodate that.
You can apply for full-time or part-time funding. The former is the equivalent of a full-time job; the latter will give you time to accommodate schooling or other work.
Grants typically range from $60,000 to $140,000, and this is a combination of both living expenses and operational expenses. Grant sizes vary with the cost of living.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for people who can help others to build a strong understanding of EA’s core ideas, and support them in taking action.
More specifically, we’re looking for people with:
- A deep understanding of those ideas, so that you can confidently help bring others up to speed.
- Strong social skills, so that you can create a welcoming and friendly space for new and established members.
- Strong organizational skills, so that you can run your group smoothly and plan impactful events.
- A strong capacity for self-reflection, so that you can adapt your strategy based on what’s worked (or not worked) so far.
This page explains what it’s like to do this work; read it to learn more about whether you’d be a good fit for the program.
Get in touch
We’d love to hear from you if you’re interested in working with one of these groups, or if you have questions about EA Community Building Grants. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.