Combining Empathy with Evidence
The Centre for Effective Altruism helps to grow and support the effective altruism community.
Effective altruism is about using evidence and reason to figure out how to benefit others as much as possible, and taking action on that basis.
The effective altruism community is a global community of people who care deeply about the world, make benefiting others a significant part of their lives, and use evidence and reason to figure out how best to do so. You can read more about effective altruism's guiding principles here.
The Centre for Effective Altruism acts as a springboard for the effective altruism community. It aims to promote and strengthen effective altruism as an idea and a community.
- Run EA Global conferences and other smaller events for the effective altruism community
- Help run community-organized conferences through EA Global X
- Support local and student effective altruism groups
- Produce the Effective Altruism Newsletter together with Rethink Charity and a team of volunteers
- Support community members via a contact person who can help work through community or interpersonal problems
- Run smaller events and try to match individuals up to opportunities in the community
- Run the EA Forum, an online hub for discussing the ideas of effective altruism.
- Run effectivealtruism.org, which hosts a collection of resources on effective altruism, including Effective Altruism Concepts
- Run Effective Altruism Funds, philanthropic funds in specific cause areas managed by experts
- Support the community of 4000+ people who have taken the Giving What We Can pledge to donate 10% of their income to the most effective organizations they can find
Participants at our 2018 Effective Altruism Global conference in San Francisco