Combining empathy with evidence
Effective altruism is an intellectual project, using evidence and reason to figure out how to benefit others as much as possible. And it’s also a practical project: to take action based on the research, and build a better world.
The effective altruism community is a global community of people who care deeply about the world, make helping others a significant part of their lives, and use evidence and reason to figure out how best to do so.
You can read more about the community's guiding principles here.
- Learn more about effective altruism: read our introduction, or try out a book, video, or podcast.
- Find an outstanding charity with our favorite guide to charitable giving.
- Read and discuss ideas on the Effective Altruism Forum.
- Attend one of our events, which we hold online and around the world.
- Find your local EA group. We have over 200 groups in dozens of countries, as well as online groups focused on specific career paths and affiliations. You could even start a group if there isn't one in your area yet.