Combining Empathy with Evidence
The Centre for Effective Altruism helps to grow and maintain the effective altruism movement.
Our vision is an optimal world. Our mission is to create a global community of people who have made helping others a core part of their lives, and who use evidence and scientific reasoning to figure out how to do so as effectively as possible.
Effective altruism is about using evidence and reason to figure out how to benefit others as much as possible, and taking action on that basis.
The effective altruism community is a global community of people who care deeply about the world, make benefiting others a significant part of their lives, and use evidence and reason to figure out how best to do so. You can read more about effective altruism's guiding principles here.
The Centre for Effective Altruism acts as a springboard for the effective altruism community. It aims to:
- promote and strengthen effective altruism as an idea and a community,
- help figure out how best to advance the wellbeing of all, and
- inspire people to take action based on that knowledge.
- Run Effective Altruism Funds, philanthropic funds in specific cause areas managed by experts
- Run EA Global conferences and other smaller events for the effective altruism community
- Help run community-organized conferences through EA Global X
- Support the community of 3,500+ people who have taken the Giving What We Can pledge to donate 10% of their income to the most effective organizations they can find
- Support local and student effective altruism groups
- Run effectivealtruism.org
- Produce the Effective Altruism Newsletter together with Rethink Charity and a team of volunteers
- Run smaller events and try to match individuals up to opportunities in the community
- Support useful new projects via Effective Altruism Grants
- Define Effective Altruism Concepts, collate the best resources on effective altruism and produce other content
For more detail, see our 2017 retrospective.
Participants at Effective Altruism Global 2016 conference