Combining Empathy with Evidence
The Centre for Effective Altruism helps to grow and support the effective altruism community.
Effective altruism is about using evidence and reason to figure out how to benefit others as much as possible, and taking action on that basis.
The effective altruism community is a global community of people who care deeply about the world, make benefiting others a significant part of their lives, and use evidence and reason to figure out how best to do so. You can read more about effective altruism's guiding principles here.
The Centre for Effective Altruism aims to:
- Promote and strengthen effective altruism as an idea and a community
- Help people make a bigger impact through their work and giving
- Run EA Global conferences and support community-organized EAGx conferences
- Support local and student effective altruism groups
- Help people make high-impact donations through Effective Altruism Funds
- Run the EA Forum, an online hub for discussing the ideas of effective altruism.
- Produce the Effective Altruism Newsletter for more than 10,000 monthly readers
- Run effectivealtruism.org, which hosts a collection of useful resources
- Support community members through our community health team
- Provide operational support to other EA organizations, including 80,000 Hours, Giving What We Can, and the Forethought Foundation
Participants at our 2018 Effective Altruism Global conference in San Francisco