Combining Empathy with Evidence
The Centre for Effective Altruism helps to grow and support the effective altruism community.
Effective altruism is about using evidence and reason to figure out how to benefit others as much as possible, and taking action on that basis.
The effective altruism community is a global community of people who care deeply about the world, make benefiting others a significant part of their lives, and use evidence and reason to figure out how best to do so. You can read more about effective altruism's guiding principles here.
The Centre for Effective Altruism acts as a springboard for the effective altruism community. It aims to promote and strengthen effective altruism as an idea and a community.
- Run Effective Altruism Funds, philanthropic funds in specific cause areas managed by experts
- Run EA Global conferences and other smaller events for the effective altruism community
- Help run community-organized conferences through EA Global X
- Support the community of 4000+ people who have taken the Giving What We Can pledge to donate 10% of their income to the most effective organizations they can find
- Support local and student effective altruism groups
- Run effectivealtruism.org
- Produce the Effective Altruism Newsletter together with Rethink Charity and a team of volunteers
- Support community members via a contact person who can help work through community or interpersonal problems
- Run smaller events and try to match individuals up to opportunities in the community
- Define Effective Altruism Concepts, collate the best resources on effective altruism and produce other content
Participants at our 2018 Effective Altruism Global conference in San Francisco