Applications for this position have closed.
The Centre for Effective Altruism (CEA) is seeking an Operations Manager for a newly established EA office in New York City, who is passionate about helping others make a positive difference by ensuring their working environment is optimised.
New York Effective Altruism Hub (NYEAH) will serve as a daily coworking space for high-impact professionals, an event space for after-hours community events, and a meeting space for EA organisations and student groups.
You will support a community which will grow to about 20 - 30 professionals in the medium term. You will spend about 60% of your time ensuring the office is a place that boosts productivity, enables new ideas and collaborations to arise, and supports people’s long-term wellbeing. The other 40% will likely go toward general support for the rest of the EA NYC team’s community building work, with a heavy focus on assisting with events, most of which will be in the office itself.
The role is initially a 2-year development posting, with the potential for an extension depending on performance and circumstances.
About the role
You will work closely with the EA NYC team and the Head of Property at CEA. The role will grow as you develop, but you will start out by focusing on the following key responsibilities:
Office Culture, Policies and Community
- Work on office guidelines, access rules, and office norms as the office is newly founded
- Ensure the office has a thriving community spirit with positive social norms that facilitate information exchange and collaboration
- Have your finger on the pulse of office users and their areas of interest, initiating connections between visiting guests and relevant professional contacts
- Work with others to ensure social events at the office meet the desired aims and are well executed
- Coordinate with the wider NYC EA community and other relevant professional groups for events
You will ensure that the hub is a thriving and productive work environment.
- Manage the allocation of office space to different organisations
- Manage a large number of different contractors (e.g caterers, facility management, etc)
- Make sure the office is well equipped and stocked
- Respond to any requests staff have about the office space
- Tech/IT support (no experience needed, but we value willingness to jump in and try things)
- Evaluate and make purchasing decisions where necessary
- Proactively find ways to optimise systems and identify new services we can offer to make the office an even more productive space for our users
EA NYC Programming Support
- Organise office events in collaboration with EA NYC’s community team
- Work with EA NYC’s team to help organise external events and conferences
- Provide operational support as needed to assist EA NYC programming
- Strategise with members of the EA NYC community team on programming agendas that are responsive to interests and expertises of hub users and the broader NYC EA community
- Connect hub users with relevant opportunities and resources through EA NYC, such as career advising and events support
Who is suited for this role?
You might be a good fit if you:
- Are extremely organised: You will be managing lots of small tasks and relationships. You will need to be organised to stay on top of them.
- Excited about providing excellent service: You’ll treat staff across the organisations as “valued customers,” who we are supporting by providing an excellent office experience.
- Are a proactive problem solver: You will need to notice when things need to be fixed, and then fix them.
- Have great interpersonal and communication skills: You will need to be confident while communicating with a variety of stakeholders, both verbally and in writing, and serving as a friendly and professional representative for the NY EA community.
- Enjoy work that demands speed, accuracy, and attention to detail: Operations work is often fast-paced. Mistakes can be costly, so it's really important for you to pay close attention to details.
- Enjoy both independent and collaborative projects: Many of the day-to-day responsibilities of this role will be carried out independently with minimal direct supervision. You will also need to communicate well with hub users, CEA staff, and EA NYC staff and actively collaborate on a variety of evolving projects.
Preferred, but not required:
- Enjoy organising events: The office should be a social space in which people connect. Ideally, you enjoy organising events that facilitate that.
Salaries, benefits, and advantages
This is a full-time role, reporting to Jonathan Michel, Head of Property and is based full time from the New York City office.
Your starting salary range is $85,000 - $100,000, depending on prior experience. There may be flexibility in salary for exceptional candidates with significant experience. You can find out more about our approach to compensation here.
Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible work hours, a $6,270 annual professional development allowance, a $6,270 mental health support allowance, extended parental leave, ergonomic equipment, 25 days of paid vacation, and more.
We’ll consider applications as we receive them. We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
After considering your written application, we may invite you to complete a short trial task followed by further interviews. We will invite finalists to provide references and participate in a multi-day paid work trial.
We are happy to consider applicants from overseas and may consider sponsorship if needed. CEA serves a global community, and our team works with people and organisations all over the world. We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We especially encourage applications from women, gender minorities, and people of color who are enthusiastic about contributing to our mission. We are an equal opportunity employer.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or have any other questions about applying, please contact email@example.com.