Applications for this position have closed
The Centre for Effective Altruism has experienced rapid growth over the past 2 years, we’ve gone from a collection of different projects with multiple different web assets to a single unified team developing a cohesive brand and web presence. As the community grows, we’ll need technical solutions to scale our community without losing all the things that make it attractive to people who are committed to making a real impact. As a full stack developer at CEA, you’ll work with us to figure out what the most pressing needs in the community are, then make those ideas a reality. You’ll build out functionality for EA Funds, helping hundreds of EAs donate quickly and effectively. You’ll work on improving onboarding for new GWWC members and work with local EA group leaders to build tools to help them coordinate events and membership. You’ll also help us redesign the EA Forum to add better moderation tools and ensure the quality of posts remains high, even as the community grows. And that’s just in the first 6 months! The majority of EAs discover the community online, as a full stack developer at CEA, you’ll be in a unique position to help shape that experience.
- Helping to grow CEA’s online web presence (e.g. effectivealtruism.org, givingwhatwecan.org, eaglobal.org, centreforeffectivealtruism.org)
- Building new features for the above sites
- Working with project lead and other CEA team members to identify features to build and bugs to squash
- Surveying the community to identify unmet needs that CEA web infrastructure could address
- Gathering product feedback and testing user interactions
- UX/UI design for site frontends
- Uploading or formatting content
- Maintaining server infrastructure
- 2+ years working as a full-stack web developer
- Demonstrated ability to scope out and deliver large online projects autonomously
- Commitment to writing clean, maintainable, testable code
- Commitment to web app development best practices
- Commitment to information security and data protection
- Knowledge of effective altruism, and associated values and goals
- Strong knowledge of SQL and SQL-based relational database systems
- Familiarity with the following technologies and services (or similar)
- Postgres (inc. PL/pgSQL)
- History of active participation in the effective altruism community
- Relevant formal qualification (e.g. degree/diploma/bootcamp)
- Contributor to open source projects
Salary will be determined according to our salary policy, this varies depending on need, experience and other circumstances. Our general apporach is to pay our staff enough so that they can focus on doing great work, not worry about finances. We provide all the usual benefits, such as healthcare, vision and dental. We would love it if you can come join us in our new Berkeley office, however in some cases we may consider remote work or provide visa sponsorship for non US nationals.
This role provides an excellent opportunity to apply skills from the business and startup world to direct work within the effective altruism movement. The effective altruism movement is growing quickly, you’ll have the opportunity to shape that growth and ensure that we remain true to our core values as we expand. It’s an exciting time to join the Centre for Effective Altruism,we’re looking to double in size over the next year and expand our operations into the USA. As one of the key team members of a rapidly growing small organisation, you’ll have a huge amount of responsibility, autonomy and room to grow.
If you work for the Centre for Effective Altruism, you’ll be part of a focused team of intelligent, caring, enthusiastic colleagues who want to change the world.
This role will suit someone who has worked on a diverse range of web-based projects covering the entire development lifecycle from project conception and prototyping, through to shipping to production and iterating to improve the product based on real-world testing. You’re happy working anywhere in the stack so long as it’s making the product work. You enjoy understanding the inner workings of complex systems, but can zoom out and put things in context. You’re open minded and are prepared to pivot to new ways of doing things if that’s what’s required, even if that means doing things differently or walking away from projects you’ve invested significant time into.
This role requires high self-efficacy, the ability to work well with other team members (including non-technical staff), and the ability to make good tradeoffs between shipping quickly and avoiding technical debt. We’re after a true autodidact, someone who enjoys learning new things and will seek out develop whatever skills they need to get the job done. You are results-focused and entrepreneurial with a deep understanding of core EA ideas. You don’t need a solid grounding in philosophy, but you will need a deep passion for figuring out how to do the most good and the audacity to make it happen
We’d prefer you to have at least 2 years experience in range of web design and development roles. If you've worked at a startup, we want to hear from you. It doesn’t matter if you’re completely self taught, we’re more interested in seeing your portfolio than your degree.
How to apply
If you have any questions about the role, or would like to speak to someone at CEA about this opportunity, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that we will not accept applications via email - submitting your application through our online form makes all of our lives easier.
Your application will be assessed using a rubric designed to measure the following traits, and you should aim to demonstrate them in your application:
- Strong analytical skills
- Robust positive self-motivation
- Having an effective altruist mindset
- Focus on effectiveness
- Writing and verbal skills
- Social skills and network
- Relevant experience and skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organisation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us to discuss adjustments to the application process.