Applications for this position have closed
As an EA Grants evaluator (part-time, contract) at the Centre for Effective Altruism, you will report to Kerry Vaughan and will assist in ensuring the success of the EA Grants program. This will involve both reviewing applications and assisting in deciding which applications we decide not to evaluate further. It will also involve managing the logistics of the application process to ensure that applicants receive a timely response to their applications.
The precise responsibilities of the position will depend in part on the skills and experience of the successful applicant, with more experienced applicants playing a more active role in making the final funding determination.
- Performing a first-pass evaluation of all applications and rejecting those that fail to meet the funding objects of EA Grants.
- Maintaining the database of all applicants and ensuring that we provide timely updates on the status of all applications.
- Collecting the information needed to process each grant after the funding decision has been made and ensuring that it is progressing in a timely manner.
- Creating short write ups of each grant and the rationale behind it.
- Collecting information about past grantees to assess the quality of our decision making process.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in designing and reliably following processes and will be sufficiently well-versed in the cause prioritization literature that they can quickly determine if a project is likely to be worth funding further. They will have:
- Demonstrated capacity in designing and following complex processes
- High reliability
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities
- Familiarity with the core ideas in cause prioritization and the ability to quickly determine whether an unfamiliar domain is likely to be high impact
- A history of involvement in the Effective Altruism community (preferred)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us to discuss adjustments to the application process.
Contracting fee is $25/hour but negotiable depending on experience and qualifications. The position will be remote and part-time. By default the position will last for around 3 months although it may be extended if circumstances warrant.
How to apply
Email your CV/resume and cover letter to Kerry Vaughan at Kerry@effectivealtruism.org